In 1924, John Sletten a carpenter began a partnership with an accountant and formed Kleppe Sletten Construction.
In 1928, Kleppe retired and the company was renamed John Sletten Construction. The first office was in the basement of the Sletten's home in Great Falls, MT. Performing light commercial construction and remodel work.
In 1935, Sletten Construction joint ventured to build their first major project, the Butte High School in Butte, MT.
In 1938, the Company moved from the Sletten’s basement to 1301 10th Ave N. Great Falls, MT. This site became the office, shop, and storage yard. For the next 45 years this was the Company headquarters.
In 1947, the company became incorporated under the laws of the state of Montana. John Sletten was President and Hedvig was Secretary of the corporation. The Company issued 100 shares @ $100 a share. Today's value of one of the original 1947 shares would be worth about, $1.5 million.
Upon the death of John in 1949, Owen Murphy became the President of Sletten Construction.
John and Hedvig’s son J. Robert Sletten completed college and in 1956 started with the Company working for $400/mo. In 1958, the company expanded its construction activities and developed a Bridge Division.
The first bridge project was the First Ave. N underpass in Great Falls. In 1959 R.G. Robertson joined the company and later took over management of the Bridge/Heavy Highway Division. After studying the growth in the southwestern US the company decided to start pursuing work in the south.
In 1963, the company was awarded a project in Nevada, at the Atomic Energy Site about 80 miles North of Las Vegas. This was the start of the first branch office opening in Las Vegas, NV under the leadership of J. Robert Sletten.
In 1969, Owen Murphy became Chairman of the Board and Bob Sletten moved to the role of President.
In the same year due to expansion and the amount of equipment acquired, it was necessary to purchase a ten-acre site on the US Highway 87 Bypass east of Great Falls and build a new shop and storage facility.
The company opened the second branch office in Phoenix, AZ in 1972.
Due to the increase in infrastructure construction, in 1977 Sletten started a water treatment division.
In 1980, the Northern Building Division was formed. This division is responsible for health care facilities, office buildings, and institutional education facilities in the Northwestern states.
In 1981, Sletten opened the Wyoming office in Sheridan.
In 1982, construction began on our present corporate headquarters in Great Falls, MT. The building is 25,000 sq ft located at 1000 25th St N.
On April 16, 1991, after a brief illness, Chairman Emeritus Owen J. Murphy passed on. This same year the company chose to become an ESOP company. The company had half the stock in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) and half in retired stock.
In 2004, J. Robert Sletten was ready to turn over the role of president; he had the top managers of the company interview with the Board of Directors. After evaluations and deliberating, the board recommended Erik Sletten the best candidate to become President of the Sletten Construction. Erik Sletten assumed the role of President and J. Robert Sletten is the Chairman. In this same year, Sletten opened an office in Boise, ID. In 2004, Sletten Companies became 100% Employee Owned Company.